Facilities Self-Quiz 2 Answers
Quiz 2 Questions and Answers:
- How can a producer raise the pig's UCT in hot weather? feed fats instead of carbohydrates (lower heat increment)
- What is maximum advisable variation in ambient temperature in the nursery? 2F
- How long is the usual breeding interval? 2 weeks
- Why are females brought to the boar's pen instead of vice-versa? Hormone build-up in the boar's pen stimulates the females for better breeding results.
- What is the recommended nursery pig density? 3 sq ft per pig
- Which grow-finish facility types offers controlled mechanical ventilation? total-slatted, cargill and nebraska are passively ventilated
- How much more ventilation capacity does a facility need in peak heat than in cooler temps? 10 times
- To what does "uniformity of microenvironment" refer? The microenvironment is the environment in the pen at the animals' level. If it is uniform, or the same throughout their pen, they will not be as encouraged to fight.
- What is tunnel ventilation? system of ventilation in which fans facing out pull air which has entered the opposite end of the barn through inlets, thereby setting up adequate airflow through the barn
- Name 3 feed delivery systems. direct, self-feeding, auger/bin, floor
Copyright ©1997 by the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine
Faculty: Dr. Paul Pitcher
Student: Sandra Springer,'99