Biology Self-Quiz 2: Answers
Quiz 2 Questions & Answers:
- What is "standing heat?" It is a term used to describe the rigid immobile stance a sow will maintain when she is ready to be bred.
- What is a "service?" A service refers to the deposition of semen into the cervix of a sow or gilt.
- Name 3 breeding management schemes: pen-mating, hand-mating, and AI
- What is the usual pregnancy rate after servicing? 90 to 95%
- How long is swine gestation? 114 days
- What is the target number of piglets to a litter? 10.2
- At what target age are pigs weaned? 21 days
- How long is the target recovery period after weaning before a sow comes into estrus? 6 days
- How old is a nursery pig? 3 to 8 or10 weeks old
- At what weight are finishers "finished?" 240 to 250 pounds
Copyright ©1997 by the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine
Faculty: Dr. Paul Pitcher
Student: Sandra Springer,'99