Quiz Case #1
You chose: Ate a rodent or bird.
Yes, this is the most likely route of infection. Rodents
and birds accidentally ingest eggs as they feed, and, over time, these
paratenic hosts accumulate a store of arrested larvae in their tissues.
When the cat is outdoors, it hunts and ingests infected paratenic hosts.
Ingestion of one or more of these hosts is likely to give the cat a greater
infection at one time than the occasional ingestion of an egg.
Given that this is an older, male cat, does this infection
have to be treated (there are no clinical signs present)?